What is branding?
Every company should pay attention to building its brand image. Once your trademark becomes popular and well-recognized, just the symbol is enough to carry your digital marketing efforts and reach wider audiences. It establishes trust and goodwill, and since the quality of your products or services becomes associated with your mark, it strengthens customer loyalty. This is even more true for trademarks that are registered. They will support your business expansion for as long as you continue to use and renew them.
How trademark registration is important for your branding
Very often, startup owners wonder if trademarking is worth the cost and efforts at the early stage of the business. They are not aware of the numerous advantages of trademark registration, especially the fact that trademarks, if registered, are a valuable asset that can be sold or licensed to third parties.
You can read up about the trademark basics to better understand the concept of trademarks and why you should register them. Here are the main benefits of registering your trademarks:
- The trademarks’ owner is entitled to a presumption of ownership and exclusive use of the mark for the goods or services of interest in a specific jurisdiction.
- Registration will make it much easier to take legal action to prevent third parties from using a similar or identical trademark.
- Many companies carry out clearance searches of relevant trademark registers before adopting a new trademark. A registered trademark will appear in the trademark search reports ordered by third parties and will likely discourage them from proceeding with the registration of an identical or similar trademark.
- Trademarks and the goodwill associated with them are valuable assets to your property and they can be sold or licensed to others.
- The mark’s owner is granted the right to put the symbol ® after the mark, which will deter potential infringers from adopting or using identical or confusingly similar trademarks.
- Upon registration, your trademark certificates can be used as a basis for a request to the customs and border authorities to block the import of counterfeit goods into a specific country.
- The certificates of trademark registrations are also a powerful weapon against the distribution of infringing goods on online marketplaces such as Amazon or eBay.
- A registered trademark lends recognition to the quality of a product or a service and helps in attracting new customers who will differentiate your products or services from your competitors’.
As an entrepreneur or business owner, you need to be cautious about building your reputation in the industry. Registering your trademark goes a long way in establishing a connection with your customers. You can read our article on how to register your trademark in Singapore if you would like to proceed with what we consider a crucial step for your business. You can also refer to some important trademark terms that will help you in this process.
At IPHub Asia, we help businesses register their trademarks. If you have any questions regarding the trademark registration benefits or require solutions for your trademark and design rights in Asia, do get in touch.
You can also visit our website to know more about what we do and the services we offer.